National League 2015-16
Welcome to the WPC National League
WPC Announces NCL - NEW National League begins November 2014! (as of 2014)
Water Polo Canada is undergoing a major re-branding and re-programming next season to better deliver services to its athletes, coaches, officials, clubs and provincial sports organisations (PSO).
Currently Water Polo Canada offers the following: NDPL + Mini-NDPL + CWS8L + MLWP + Youth Cup + National Club Championships + NT selection camps. As of the 2014-2015 program year, this will all become THE NATIONAL LEAGUE!
Benefits of the New League Format
· More appropriate training and competition to develop athletes for international success
· Staggered &lengthy competition season develops athletes, coaches & referees at all levels of play
· Coach and official education linked to competition
· Competition structure that allows for growth in participation numbers
· Overall reduced costs for athletes and parents
· Provinces also developing house leagues and inter-city leagues for 12 and - and 10 and -
· Better coordination and communication between WPC, provinces and clubs
· Provincial competition review and restructuring aligning with the National League – focus on grassroots and staying fit
· Similar competition models to other team sports will help clubs with recruitment
· Better branding and marketability of the sport
· Partnerships with cities – sell and market water polo to the sport tourism industry
· Allows for easier volunteer recruitment, less time commitment than tournament format
Adopting an Optimized Competition Calendar
Beginning next program year (September 2014 through August 2015), Water Polo Canada will have three distinctive seasons for all age groups beginning at 14 and under:
• Season 1 – September to May: Club season
• Season 2 – June and July: Provincial Team season
• Season 3 – July and August: National Team season
Conference Championships and National Championships (new)
The Eastern and Western Conference Championships will be hosted the first weekend in May. The 16U boys’ and 19U men’s Conference Championships and the 16U girls’ and 19U women’s Conference Championships will be held at the same venue. The top two ranked teams from the respective Conference Championships will qualify for the National Championships played the last weekend in May. The 16U boys’ and girls’ and 19U men’s and women’s National Championships will be held at the same venue. Bids will be submitted annually – and evaluated by – the Competition Review Working Group. The host will receive automatic entry to the National Championships and will be allotted one of the Conference qualification entries. The host will be ranked as 1st or 2nd seed in the conference based on the results from the Conference Championships.
Stay Informed Regarding New Developments
More information will be offered in the coming weeks. Water Polo Canada, along with each PSO will be organizing webinars and in-person presentations. Preparation for the National League is already underway as pools need to be reserved, partnerships with cities need to be built and clubs need to get excited! Please contact your local Provincial Water Polo Association for information on the webinars and presentations.
Please download the following documents from WPC for further details and information about the New National League !
• 2014-2015 DETAILED NATIONAL LEAGUE FORMAT